Psy Knitter

Here Comes the Sun

I've recently been on a finish-all-WIPs kick. By completing the older, almost-finished knits, I can move on to newer and more exciting projects, right?

So here's something that I started over two years ago. Geez, I am terrible.


Shattered Sun by Felicia Lo
Needles: 6
Yarn: Knitpicks Stroll Tonal, golden glow
Skeins: 1
Size: modified

The pattern is fantastic. It's both charted and written the long way, which I actually preferred. Just shut my brain off and tell me exactly what to knit. Also, the pattern is easily customizable. I believe the pattern calls for approximately 400 yards. However, you can knit more of the lace section or the final stockinette section (which is what I did) until you use up however much yarn you'd like. I ended up knitting approximately 22 rows before I started the ruffle border.


A note on the ruffle border: these four rows eat up a lot of yarn, so plan accordingly! I think this may be one of the reasons it took me so long to complete the project. The final stockinette section has A LOT of stitches per row and it ends up in the 400's by the time you complete the ruffle. It was a bit tedious, I admit. Also, I used a different bind off technique than the one offered in the pattern, which I found was too stretchy and produced a sloppy edge. So I used this bind off technique, which requires a crochet hook. I love this cleaner, sturdier edge.

I blocked the shawl by moderately stretching the lace section and pinning it down, while being a bit more lax with the ruffle portion so I wouldn't lose some of the flounce.


I was pleasantly surprised with the yarn. This is the first time I've used Stroll Tonal and I found the color to be beautiful and saturated. Also, it was much softer and squishier than I was anticipating. So I do recommend the yarn. Unfortunately, this particular color was discontinued. Sad face.

I'm totes proud of myself for completing another project. I definitely recommend this pattern; it makes for a lovely shawl and would be a great gift.

Onto the next one!

No comments

Post a Comment