Psy Knitter

Mad as a Hatter

(Originally posted: August 4, 2009)

Since I have resigned at my place of employment in order to relax and prepare myself for my coming studies, I've found myself with long stretches of down time. So I've been occupying myself with my hobbies, particularly my beloved knitting. I've been knitting hats non-stop; I'm impatiently waiting for the arrival of cold weather so I can debut my hand knits. Yum.

So on to the goods, kiddies:
Pattern: Selbu Modern by Kate Gagnon Osborn
Source: Kelbourne Woolens
Yarn: Knitpicks Palette, color cream, ~1 skein
          Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Multi, color Ravenswood, ~1 skein
Needle: 1.5 and 3

Ooh, colorful.
I must honestly say that I am IN LOVE with this hat. This is my first time doing stranded colorwork, and even though it was a little tricksy at the beginning keeping the proper tension, it became easier as I progressed. I look forward to working on other projects utilizing this technique. The pattern is well written and the end result is a truly lovely hat. As always, Lorna's Laces is soft to work with and has lovely colorways, while the Knitpicks Palette surprised me; it was very soft and wooly, dare I say, sheepy.


This photo was taken on a sweltering, summer's day. You can't say that I don't suffer for my art. And here's my precious, from the back:

Please ignore the bra strap. Scandalous.
Overall, this project was a great success and comes highly recommended. Also, the color combinations are endless. I'll definitely make more in the future. And here is my second hat (although I finished it a while ago, it took me some time before I blocked it. I'm so bad).

Pattern: Fern Glade Beret by Megan Marshall
Source: Knitty!
Yarn: Natural Caron Spa, soft sunshine
Skeins: 1
Needles: 3 and 6


This hat turned out quite lovely as well. It's a little slouchier than I'm used to wearing but I really like it. The pattern was easy to follow and the yarn was quite shiny and slippery, more like silk. It's mostly comprised of bamboo, which apparently behaves like silk in texture. Very interesting.


I ended up custom-making this hat to my tasted. I created a "medium" size by casting on 108 stitches and increasing to 126. Then I worked the lace panel repeat 7 times. I was so proud of myself having figured this incredibly difficult bit of math, but I see that quite a number of people were able to do this same modification on Ravelry. You mean other people were able to perform simple arithmetic! Shocking.


I'm really glad that these projects turned out so well. I'm knitting some other hats out of the new Vogue Knitting Fall issue. I'm ready for winter!

No comments

Post a Comment