Psy Knitter

Shhh!

(Sorry, y'all; way too busy with finals at the moment. Here's another import from my old blog: one of my favorite knits.

Originally posted: September 26, 2009)

Alright, I've just finished blocking this little number and I have to say, I want to marry it.
And the specs are:


Pattern: Whisper Cardigan by Hannah Fettig
Source: Interweave Knits, Spring 2009
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine, redwood
Needles: 2, 4, 6


I made a number of modifications to the pattern. Although I think the original is adorable and has an intriguing construction, I know that bell sleeves aren't for me. Also, I knew that I had to add K1P1 ribbing to the sleeves and hem, otherwise my anal tendencies would have me unrolling the edges all day long.

So I CO 76 stitches, K1P1 for an inch and then knit 9 inches until the gathering in the middle. I made no increases or decreases to the shrug. Repeat for the other side. I picked up 120 stitches for the collar and ribbed for 3 inches. I picked up for the lower body, but rather than increasing every right side row (or every 2 rows), I increased every other right side row (every 4 rows). Then I K1P1 for a little over and inch for the hem. Voila:


And now about the yarn: it's absolutely fabulous. Very warm, light and super soft. The colors are wonderful since they appear to be slightly kettle-dyed. I purchased the yarn at Knitty City here in New York City, and unbeknownst to me they are known as "the friendliest yarn shop in NY." Surprisingly, I agree with them 100%; I've been to yarn shops where all the employees and select patrons are in the back of the store working on their projects. It gives off a negative, clique-y atmosphere that makes me feel uncomfortable. I usually just leave the store without having purchased anything. Not so with Knitty City; when I went in for the first time, they didn't have the yarn but told me they would put in a special order for me. When I went to pick up my order, a number of employees were quite attentive and asked if I needed anything and if I wanted my yarn wound, etc. Overall, I was a very happy panda. Definitely give them a visit.


I'm really proud of this knit; I definitely see myself wearing it often. Everyone should make their own Whisper Cardigan. Woot!

No comments

Post a Comment