Psy Knitter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I)


I'm always inspired to write a lengthy review of any film I see or book I read; you know, really stretch my critical analysis and writing skills. But so many people do it so much better than me. For example, for a beautifully written review of the latest Harry Potter installment, please direct yourselves here. But I'm normally moved to write something, to express whatever thoughts are flitting about inside my head. And being a huge Potter fan makes this case no different. So I guess I'll just throw out some random thoughts and impressions. In case you've squared yourself away from society and the media, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I was released this past weekend, breaking a number of box-office records. The subject matter has grown darker as the series progressed, but hope still remains among the Order of the Phoenix. In this film, which is the first part of the last book, we see the trio of friends attempt to find the remaining horcruxes and figure out how to destroy them, all the while evading Lord Voldemort and his followers. Overall, this film sets up the next and last film quite nicely, setting the stage for the last battle between Lord Voldemort and Harry Potter.
  • Even though the film clocks in at 2-1/2 hours, the elements of the film helped propel the story at a brisk pace. 
  • The three actors have really grown and are finally in their element; their chemistry was great.
  • The producers made a good decision splitting the final book into two films; it gives them the chance to address all of the necessary plot points and tie up any loose ends.
  • I loved how they presented the story of the Peverell brothers; it was a beautiful 2-D animation style reminiscent of Picasso's pencil drawings. Very wispy, simple, yet poignant. Like so:
  • The cinematography was spectacular; there were frequent long-distance shots of the trio in the wilderness, which further demonstrated how utterly alone they were. 
  • Xenophilius Lovegood was awesomely kooky.
  • One of my favorite scenes was after Ron had left Harry and Hermione in a fit of anger. Hermione sits dejectedly by the radio listening to music. Harry silently gets up, brings Hermione to her feet and starts to dance with her in a not-so-serious way. It was a beautiful scene that captured the hopelessness of their situation but then is brushed aside so that the two friends can remember what it's like to be children. Also awesome was the fact that they used a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tune. Nice.
  • Dobby stole the end of the film. Funny, heroic and heartbreaking.
  • Finally as a side note, the knitter inside me could not keep still. There were so many awesome hand knits that the actors were wearing! That awesome faire-isle hoodie Hermione was wearing.
WANT.
  • There were fingerless gloves, toques, manly sweaters, and scarves. The costumes were so pretty.


Is it weird that I desperately want a knitted cat scarf?
And there you have it; my random impressions of the film. The movie was filled with awesome-y goodness, and leaves me on pins and needles for the final film. And then I will be sad because it will be all over. :fingers crossed that Rowling will write another Potter book:

No comments

Post a Comment