Psy Knitter

Giving Thanks

A happy and healthy Thanksgiving everyone!

The holiday season always inspires me to think of the preceding year, to be grateful for all the good I've received, and to aspire to things that I have not yet achieved. So what am I grateful for? To a wonderful family and close friends, who support me every step of the way. To good health and a burgeoning career. And for FINALLY finishing my dissertation!


It was a long time coming, but so worth it. Now, it's just a waiting game: waiting to hear from my committee members, waiting to schedule the oral defense, and waiting to receive my degree. Finally. :)

I'm also thankful that I've finally figured out how to rearrange my schedule in order to fit in most of my hobbies. I do credit knitting for keeping me sane lately. I finally finished a pair of regular, plain socks I've been working on FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS. Methinks sock knitting may not be my forte.


Special FX Socks by Wendy D. Johnson
Needle Size: 1.5
Yarn: Patons North America Kroy Socks FX, Cascade
Skeins: 2
Size: Custom

Wendy Johnson's generic toe-up sock pattern is my default sock pattern. It's just so great, and so customizable to sizing as well as using whatever stitch pattern you want. Also, I love toe-up construction because I love knitting until I run out of yarn. I went with plain stockinette in order to let the yarn color do all the work. I think I had 60 stitches in the body of the sock, and ended with K2P2 ribbing for 18 rounds. I used the figure 8 cast-on for the toe, and a short-row heel.


I've used the yarn before, and it's alright (kind of scratchy). However, Kroy sock yarns hold up pretty well with consistent use (especially for the heel and toe), so it's a good workhorse yarn for putting up with constant friction. I'm glad I finished these, since I'm sorely lacking in warm socks for the winter.


I'm drowning in single socks that I have not yet completed their mates for. Maybe the next step is to finish them up and call it a day on sock knitting? We shall see!

Get working on your holiday knitting; gift-giving season is just around the corner!

No comments

Post a Comment