Psy Knitter

We'll All Float On

Knitting, for me, is therapeutic. With an easy project, I can zone out and let my mind wander, while my fingers do the talking. Or I can knit something complex, which requires me to focus; only my project matters, and nothing else.

In some cases, a knitting project can have a little bit of both worlds. This kind of project is my favorite. My latest sweater is one such project:


Just Float by Stephanie Lotven
Needles: 5 and 6
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock, chocolate amargo (2 skeins); 
         Lorna's Laces Solemate, buckingham fountain (1 skein)
Size: XS

This is *the fastest* sweater I've knit yet. I started end of November 2020 and finished in the beginning of April. Four and a half months might seem like a lot, but I generally take years to knit something so I'll consider this warp speed for me.

The pattern is super clear and crisp. I knit as written, with no modifications. I read that the sweater has significant ease built in; I didn't want something too roomy so, as a bust size of 33", I chose the 35" bust size. I'm pretty happy with the resulting dimensions. The sweater incorporates short rows for a better fitting neckline. I'd never used this technique before for sweaters, but I can see the advantage.

I've used Malabrigo Sock before so I knew what I was getting into, which is super-soft yarn in gorgeous colors. HOWEVER. While one skein was ... uneventful, the second skein was *riddled* with knots, and some areas were so thin, I had to break the yarn and re-join. It was bizarre; I guess I ended up with a wonky skein. Given that my contrast yarn was light, I was concerned that the Malabrigo would bleed significantly; fortunately, bleeding was minimal and the yoke remained pretty unstained.

I've used Lorna's Laces Sock before, which resulted in some strong-wearing socks, but I've not used the Solemate variant before. I've had this skein for years, trying to knit it into various items (shawls, tops, etc.) but it just never worked out. I guess it knew that it belonged to this color-work sweater. Solemate, too, was soft and easy on the hands. I'd definitely use it again.

There were no issues during blocking (no significant stretching width or length-wise), and fortunately bleeding was minimal. I believe the name of the sweater, Just Float, refers to the fact that the stranded colorwork is simple in that the non-worked yarn just floats in the back of the garment and you don't have to catch the non-worked yarn. Very smart and simple.

Overall I highly recommend the project. It requires some concentration for the yoke, but after that, it's smooth sailing...

No comments

Post a Comment