Psy Knitter

First Book Review...FAIL

Reading Update #1:

So I've been trying to be a diligent little reader for the Cannonball read (and you know, read for its inherent value) and I chose to read Deborah Harkness' A Discovery of Witches. Being a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, I've been hunting for another book/series that can fill the wizard-shaped hole in my heart. Well, I've been looking for any good sci-fi/fantasy series to fit the bill (have any recommendations?). And after looking at that kick-ass cover (yay alchemy!), I was sure that my first choice would satiate my need for magic. Yeah. Not so much.

After reading about 50 pages, I stopped reading and concentrated on keeping my bile from violently spewing out of my maw. I can't in good conscience review the book since I didn't read it in its entirety, but just think of it as a Twilight for grownups.

I'll let that sink in for you.

OK, maybe that's overly simplifying it, but I'd say an unnecessarily good amount of those 50 pages was dedicated to describing the aesthetic perfection of the protagonist's male companion. And after enduring ~1000 pages of that in the Twilight series, I decided to jump ship before it became any worse. Anyway, the basic plot centers on Dr. Diana Bishop, a historian specializing in the societal and historical interpretation and implementation of science, who is actually a witch. But she doesn't want to be a witch for reasons unknown. During her research for an upcoming conference, she comes across a mysterious alchemical text that appears to be the real deal; however, she wants none of it and sends it back for archiving. This chance encounter creates a literal homing signal for those who had been searching for the book, particularly demons and vampires. One vampire in particular, the dashing Dr. Matthew Clairomont who is also a microbiologist and is impossibly handsome and he may be a bad guy after the book but he's so damn hot and yadda yadda yadda... I just couldn't continue after this. I was expecting something along the lines of Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, but this was not it. It was disappointing.

Anyway, if you're into the Twilight books, you may also like this series (!). If not, then we can be friends.

So I'm back to looking for suitable books. Nothing too academic but not complete fluff either. Any suggestions?

2 comments

  1. I'm 200 pages into it, and I'm only still reading it so I can write a scathing review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'd love to read your take on this "book." I'll look for it on the official Cannonball site!

    ReplyDelete