Psy Knitter

Ribbed for her pleasure

(Originally posted: April 16, 2009) 

Lately I've been knitting like a fiend; so here is my first completed project. Woot. And the specs are:

Pattern: #04 Ribbed Top by Vladimir Teriokhin
Source: Vogue Knitting, Spring/Summer 2008
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, taupe
Skeins: ~3.5
Needle: 5


No, that's not a typo, this top was published in LAST year's spring issue. I really do like Vogue; I think they have some really fashion-forward garments. Not everything it to my taste, but I can always find a handful of patterns that I want to knit and if anything, there's plenty of inspiration to be found. I do have one complaint and that's the frequency of errors in each issue. I guess I understand that the editors are under deadlines and such, but it's a little disheartening to have to check the errata page before casting on. In any case, I started this top in spring 2008 and came across an error in the placket instructions. Discouraged, I let it sit for months until I finally finished it in late March. Do check the website before attempting this knit. Unless you like teasing out errors, in which case have at it. 

Plackety-goodness.

Regardless, I love this little number. Even though it looks a little small, the ribbing is forgiving and stretches quite a bit, as you can see:

Your narrator, from the front.

And now from the back...
With regards to the yarn, I've worked with Cotton-Ease before and I do like it. The softness and elasticity of the cotton combined with the easy-to-care for acrylic makes for a sturdy and affordable yarn. It is a bit splitty but not anything drastic. And it comes in nice, muted colors too. Oh, and the color looks more accurate in the pictures where I'm wearing the top (damn you flash!). 

Overall, I'm a huge fan of Teriokhin's designs; I love his ingenious use of cables that highlight the curves of the body. This was a successful knit and one that I'll frequently wear!

No comments

Post a Comment