Psy Knitter

Hats! Part Deux

(Originally posted: August 24, 2009)

It's been a while, hasn't it? Since my doctoral program starts next week (eek!) and I'll be busy with both teaching and studying, I've been trying to fit as much knitting as humanly possible the past couple of weeks. So here they are, for your enjoyment, more hats:

Pattern: #11 Vine and Leaf Beret
Source: Vogue Knitting Fall 2009
Yarn: Knit Picks Shine sport, turquoise
Skeins: 2
Needle: 3


This hat was originally intended for my mother who is allergic to wool. She loved the color of this yarn. which I had in my stash. The yarn is soft and shiny, but has a tendency to shed during knitting. The pattern is easy to follow, yet created a striking hat.

Unfortunately because it's cotton, the hat has already started to stretch. The ribbing is particularly big, even for my head; I think I'll have to go back and crochet some elastic thread into the ribbing. My advice would be to use needles a couple of sizes smaller for the ribbing. Oh well, live and learn.

Not too shabby.
And on to the second hat:
Pattern: #9 Eyelet Cap
Source: Vogue Knitting Fall 2009
Yarn: Knit Picks Gloss DK, coastal grey
Skeins: 2
Needle: 3


This slouchy hat is absolutely great. It fits well and is not too slouchy. I purchased two skeins of the new Knit Picks Gloss DK yarn and am IN LOVE. The sheen is lovely and lends itself particularly well for cabling. The crispness and crunchiness makes it a pleasure to work with. I definitely have to make a sweater with this yarn. I did run out of yarn though so rather than knitting the ribbing for 8 inches, I worked it for about 3.5. Still looks good, methinks.


I'm trying to finish all of my knits up before classes start. Stay tuned for more hand knits, same bat-time, same bat channel.

No comments

Post a Comment